Monday, March 15, 2010

Slow Sunday Pancakes

Daylight savings was this weekend and time slipped right away from me...in a good way.  Saturday morning I had a list of things to get done: return my library books, call my sister, deposit my check, write for my blog.  But instead I spent most of the day bike riding and sun bathing with my friend engrossed in conversation, letting the hours pass on by.  So I knew that if I wanted to get anything done on Sunday (especially with the time change) I couldn't stop and bask in the sunshine.  But of course when I woke up Sunday morning I had a craving for pancakes and was so inspired by the ripe tangerines sitting in my fruit bowl, that I spent an hour making up this new citrus almond pancake recipe.

After indulging in breakfast, I was ready to start my day and jump on my bike for a quick trip to Rainbow Grocery, when my roommate asked if he could join me since he had never been before.  I was so delighted to show someone my favorite grocery store that I couldn't say no.  It is like giving someone a tour of my hometown, and there was no rushing past the sights: the local organic miso and sauerkraut, the natural peppermint soaps, the wall of organic green leafy vegetables, and the tub of dried persimmons.  We were in the spice section for a half an hour collecting bags of bright yellow turmeric, black mustard seeds, and cinnamon sticks from those pretty glass jars.  For once in my life, I let go of any plans and "to do" lists and instead hung out in the richness of the present moment.  Next Sunday, when you make these pancakes, make sure you do the same!  

Citrus Almond Pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of gluten free flour (rice/sorghum)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ginger
  • 1/4 cup of citrus juice (orange, lemon, tangerines...)
  • 1/4 cup of soy/rice/almond milk or soy yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon of w/s/d free vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons of sliced almonds
  • Earth Balance and honey

Directions:
1.  In a large bowl, blend all dry ingredients together.
2.  Mix in wet ingredients.
3.  Heat Earth Balance in a small cast iron pan on medium heat.
4.  Pour enough batter into the pan so pancake looks thin enough to cook through, but thick enough to flip.
5.  Cook pancake for about 3-5 minutes until the bubbles in the middle rise, then flip and cook for about 2-3 minutes. 
6.  Repeat until you have a stack of these babies then drizzle warm honey and Earth Balance all over them.... and get lost in this blissful breakfast!

3 comments:

  1. wish i had read this yesterday when I had time to cook!
    'member when I use to make you pancakes with faces?
    love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some vanilla has sugar in it, always read labels.

    And yes I remember you making lot's of yummy pancakes and crepes for me!

    ReplyDelete