Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chinese Pork Rolls

I generally follow my wheat/sugar/dairy-free diet very strictly, but the only food I ever "cheat" on is Chinese baked goods and dim sum.  I won't drink any alcohol, I'm fine to pass on a gourmet slice of chocolate cake, but I just can't say no to shrimp and scallion dumplings and bbq pork buns.  For a while I've been wanting to make wheat/sugar/dairy free dim sum, but have not quite figured it out...yet.  In the meantime, one dish that fulfills some of my dim sum cravings is pork spring rolls made with rice paper wrappers.  These Vietnamese sheets of rice paper are usually used to make fresh rolls filled with shrimp, vermicelli, mint and cilantro.  They come dry and hard, but when you soak them in warm water they soften like a cooked noodle (no need to cook them).  I love making the Vietnamese fresh rolls, but I eventually started experimenting with filling the rice wrappers with other ingredients such as pork.  The other day I saw the most beautiful purple baby bok choy at Rainbow that I had to use in my pork rolls.  For variation, fill your rolls with your favorite seasonal vegetables and try using chicken or tofu instead of pork. 

Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb of ground pork
  • 1/2 cup of sliced shitake mushrooms or oyster mushrooms
  • 1 tbs of fresh grated ginger
  • 1tsp of nutmeg
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1-2 carrots grated
  • 1 bunch of bok choy or spinach chopped into ribbons
  • 1/4 cup of water chestnuts, chopped
  • Bean sprouts or any sprouts you like
  • Soy sauce or Tamari (wheat free kind)
  • Sesame oil
Directions
  1. In a pan cook the ground pork in a little bit of sesame oil on medium/high heat.  
  2. Add the mushrooms and the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and garlic.
  3. When pork/mushrooms are almost cooked through, add the grated carrots, chestnuts, greens, and bean sprouts, in that order.
  4. Turn off the heat and sprinkle with soy sauce until it is salty as you like it.
  5. Soak one rice wrapper in a bowl of warm water for about a minute until it is soft like a noodle.
  6. Lay the soft wrapper on a cutting board or large plate and fill with pork/veggie mixture and wrap it up like a burrito.
  7. Serve as is, or if you are in the mood, fry these pork rolls in oil for a few minutes until golden on the outside.

3 comments: