Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Zucchini Apple Bread

  
September has always felt more like the beginning of a new year for me than January 1st.  I have palpable memories of the first day of school, of the sudden change from humid hot air to crisp cool breezes, to bright blue skies scattered with yellow and red leaves.  Last week I attended two new year's celebrations.  One was Enkutatash, the Ethiopian new year and the second was Rosh Hashana, the Jewish new year.  Though I am not Ethiopian or Jewish, I took both celebrations as an opportunity for self reflection and new beginnings.  And of course for some good eating!  At the Enkutatash festival I was hoping to have some split peas, collards and injera (which is traditionally made from gluten-free teff flour), but the line was so long that I ended up getting some delicious Caribbean chicken, plantains and spinach instead.  For Rosh Hashana my friend Genessa made a feast of Iraqi stuffed cabbage and roasted vegetables.  I wanted to bring a wheat/sugar/dairy free dessert that included the symbolic apples and honey.  So I decided to adapt a zucchini bread recipe I saw on the Gluten Free Goddess blog that used coconut milk! My version is full of honey and apples for Rosh Hashana and is also totally egg and soy free!  Enjoy it for the new year!



Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups of gluten free flour (I used mostly rice flour and some buckwheat flour)
  • 1/3 cup of potato or tapioca starch
  • 2 tsp of baking powder
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup of grape seed oil
  • 1 cup of honey
  • 1/4 coconut milk
  • 1 cup of grated zucchini
  • 1 cup of grated apple
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
  2. Add the oil, honey, and coconut milk.
  3. Stir in the apples and zucchini.
  4. Pour into a greased 9 inch loaf pan and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 45-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment