Monday, November 8, 2010

Curried Red Lentil Sweet Potato Soup


Sometimes all you need is soup.  This past Sunday it was rainy and cold, and stress from work had made it's way into my lower back.  I told my roommate that I was in pain and he kindly lent me his heating pad and encouraged me to lie down on the couch with a blanket and listen to "This American Life," on the radio.  Afterwards, I began to feel better and decided to make a pot of red lentil and sweet potato curry soup.  It was exactly what I needed, something warm, nourishing, easy and comforting.  And it was exactly what my other roommates needed as they were feeling tired and under the weather.  It felt so nice to share my soup with them, and it reinforced the idea that it is ok to ask for support from others, that in fact people like to help others out.  I hope you find some comfort in this sweet and savory soup!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups of red lentils
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1-2 large sweet potatoes
  • 3 large carrots
  • 2 tablespoons of curry powder
  • 1tsp of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp of ginger powder
  • 4 cups of vegetable broth
  • 1 can of low fat coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup of maple syrup
  • 1 head of kale
  • 1/2 a lemon
  • salt, pepper, and olive oil
Directions 
  1. Soak and rinse lentils.
  2. Chop the onion and saute in a large pot with olive oil till they begin to become translucent.
  3. Chop the sweet potatoes and carrots into 1 inch pieces and add to the onions.  
  4. Add the garlic and 1 tablespoon of the curry powder.
  5. Saute vegetables for a few minutes, then add the broth and lentils and bring to a boil.
  6. Simmer the soup on medium/high heat for about 20 minutes.
  7. Add the coconut milk, maple syrup, and the rest of the spices to the pot.
  8. Wash and chop the kale into small pieces. Add to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes.
  9. The soup is done when the vegetables are tender and the lentils are soft and mushy.  Squeeze lemon juice on top and add any extra salt and pepper if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment