Monday, March 7, 2011

Strange Fruit

 
Limequats, mellow yellow grapefruits, sweet limes, manderinquats, pomelos and more..... Bi Rite Market always has the most beautiful and diverse range of seasonal fruits and vegetables.  I had my first watermelon radish at Bi Rite.  And right now there is a plethora of crazy citrus fruits I've never heard of before.  It's so exciting to bite into a sweet lime (which looks just like a lemon), expecting sour but tasting sweetness.  I've always been attracted to strange fruits/vegetables, especially hybrids, perhaps because of my own hybrid racial identity.  I think diversity is beautiful in all aspects of nature, from humans to plants.   I get kind of disturbed by the homogeneous rows of identical apples or oranges I see at Whole Foods Market, it just seems unnatural.  And they do not taste nearly as flavorful or potent as a locally grown blood orange from Bi Rite.  So go search your local farmer's markets for unique and perfectly imperfect produce.  Or demand some freaky and funky fruits and vegetables at your major grocery store!


    


1 comment:

  1. The pictures and post are so beautiful, just like you!

    ReplyDelete