Monday, November 7, 2011

Sandwich for the Soul

It is so nourishing to give yourself exactly what you need, to listen to your body and to take care of it.  This past Saturday I woke up at 6 am to help put on a racial justice conference in Oakland.  I braved the cold weather, riding my bike in the bitter wind at dawn, knowing that this conference would inspire and invigorate me.  And it did.  The rich dialogue and beautiful connections made at the conference fed my soul in many ways.  But after the conference was over, I was hungry for some real food- and immediatley knew I wanted to go to Mariposa, my favorite gluten free bakery!  The conference was close to Mariposa, so I hopped on my bike and rode over to this cute little spot tucked away off of Telegraph Ave.  As I walked in, I was instantly warmed by the heat rising from the ovens and by the smiles of all the people noshing on delicious gluten free treats.  I ordered the beet loaf sandwich- basically a beet/veggie burger served on their gluten free hamburger bun, with chunky purple coleslaw.  The beet loaf was sweet and savory, the bun soft, and the coleslaw perfectly crunchy and tangy.  As I ate this sandwich, I felt a sense of peace and self-love.  Eating out alone is such a rare and decedant experience for me.  But on that cold and rainy Saturday afternoon, I was completely immersed in the moment: enjoying my sandwich, appreciating the cozy atmosphere, satisfied with a good day's work, and happy to be in the company of myself.

(PS:  Ike's Sandwich Shop serves sandwiches on Mariposa gluten free bread- check them out!)

1 comment: