Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Beautiful Berry Smoothie


Ever since I got back from vacation I have been on a fruit and veggie health kick.  On the plane ride home I read Joel Fuhrman's book "Super Immunity," (cover to cover), in which he discusses the importance of eating more greens, more beans and nuts, more seeds, more berries, and less meat, dairy and sugar (sugar he says is the devil, which I already knew.)  My diet already consists mainly of vegetables and fruits, but I was so recharged by his book promising of anti-cancer effects, that I went out and bought some hemp milk, chia seeds, a pint of blueberries and strawberries, and 3 bunches of kale (they were on sale at the farmer's market!)  I honestly do feel refreshed and balanced eating all fruits and veggies.  My body was craving vitamins and minerals after my summer of gluten-free cupcakes and endless sushi rolls.   Since coming back home, I've been having a different smoothie every morning for breakfast.  Blueberries are by far my favorite fruit to put in a smoothie, and since it's also strawberry season, I've been adding them to my morning shakes.  Enjoy this berry smoothie and feel free to adapt as you like (and get ready for more smoothie recipes!)   

Ingredients: (for one serving)
  • 1/4 cup of blueberries
  • 1/4 cup of strawberries
  • 1 handful of washed spinach (you won't taste it I promise)
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 1/2 cups of almond/hemp/soy/rice milk
  • 1 tbs of almond butter
  • 2 tsps of chia seeds (optional, but really good for you!)
Directions:
  1. Place everything into a blender and blend until nice and smooth!




No comments:

Post a Comment