Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Zesty Citrus Chicken

 

This past week I was feeling so unmotivated, lazy, and depressed that even cooking felt like a chore.  I needed something to wake me up and inspire me.  Lime zest was the answer.  Monday night I was planning on just sauteing some chicken and steaming some Chinese broccoli, when I suddenly realized I had a bowl of limes and oranges sitting on my kitchen table, waiting to be used.  So I zested them, and some fresh ginger root!  The zest brought my dinner to life and made me fall in love with cooking and living again.  I hope this sweet and tangy dish brings some zest to your life!

Zesty Citrus Chicken

Ingredients
2 teaspoons of fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon of lime zest
1 teaspoon of orange zest
The juice of the lime and orange you zested
1-2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1-2 green scallions finely chopped
1 cup of wheat free tamari/soy sauce
1 tablespoon of sesame oil (plus more for frying)
1 tablespoon of honey or agave
1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
1 can of sliced water chestnuts
1-2 chicken breasts, chopped into cubes
1 bunch of Chinese broccoli (or your favorite greens)

Directions
1.  Mix together all ingredients (except the chicken, water chestnuts and broccoli) in a bowl.
2.  Stir the chicken into the bowl and let marinate for at least a half an hour.
3.  While the chicken is marinating start cooking some jasmine rice.
4.  Also, wash and trim the broccoli and steam in your bamboo steamer.
5.  When ready throw the chicken, marinade sauce and the water chestnuts into a pan with oil and cook on medium/high heat for a few minutes until chicken is cooked through. 
6.  Serve chicken with steamed broccoli and rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment