Monday, May 31, 2010

Perfect Pesto

Pesto is a staple in my diet, and I crave it all year round.  But during the winter I hesitate to use the out-of-season basil, with it's purple spots and shriveled leaves.  So sometimes I'll substitute arugula or spinach.  But now finally it is spring and basil is in season again!  I found the most lusciously green and shiny basil at Rainbow and I knew I had to make some pesto.  I love the sharp garlic flavors, the sweet basil, the creamy nuts, and the way it makes everything turn bright green.  And it is so easy to make w/s/d free!  I use miso paste instead of parmesan, because it is salty and creamy.  I love to coat chicken breasts in pesto, scramble it into my eggs, put it on my pizzas and grilled cheeses, or even just saute my veggies in it.  It's a boldly flavorful and healthy thing to have on hand.  Here is my recipe for the perfect w/s/d free pesto!

Perfect Pesto

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of fresh organic basil (or experiment with arugula or spinach....)
  • 1/2 cup or so of organic pine nuts.
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic (if raw garlic is too much, mince by hand and saute it in oil for a minute before putting in food processor.)
  • 1 tablespoon of miso paste
  • olive oil...about 1/4 of a cup.
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  •  Peel garlic and toss into the food processor.  Pulse a few times (scrape the chunks down the sides if needed.)
  • Add pine nuts into food processor, pulsing first then blending.
  • Scrape down the sides, add the miso, and blend some more.
  • Wash and dry basil, then pull of leaves from stems.  Throw basil leaves into food processor a little at a time.
  • Add olive oil into processor, blending until you get the consistency you desire. 
  • Coat pasta (or whatever dish) in pesto and store extra in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment