Monday, May 17, 2010

Waffle Dreams

 
Sunday night I saw the most soul-squeezing new musical, Girlfriend, at Berkeley Rep.  It's an adorably awkward love story of  two gay teens.  The songs, taken from the 90's rock album, Girlfriend, by Matthew Sweet, were sung by two talented young actors and backed up by an all female rock band.  The show was hilarious and tender, making the closing-night-audience crack up and squeal with "awwws" after almost every line.  One line in particular stood out to me.  After the cute (and secretly gay) athlete asks the other dorkier teen out, the dorkier teen says, "When did my life become like my dreams?"  

I know that feeling, when life suddenly turns out the way you want, even for a moment.  Lately the world has been handing me exactly the things I've been wishing for.  It started one day when I noticed a lonely looking waffle iron sitting on top of one of my kitchen cabinets.  It's not mine, and my roommates claim they didn't buy it.  So I guess it was just sent to us from the kitchen fairy? (If so, tell the fairy I want a Kitchen Aid mixer, too!) And what's so fabulous about this waffle iron is that it makes heart-shaped waffles!  I heart it!  I remember my parents had a waffle iron when I was a kid, and I loved the satisfaction of pressing the iron shut, watching the steam billow out, and then a few minutes later opening it up to see a perfectly pressed geometric waffle.

The next dream that came true for me, was discovering this amazing gluten free waffle mix at Trader Joe's.  What is so unique about TJ's waffle mix is that it has no sugar or dairy in it- which is very rare to find in gluten free baking mixes.  As much as I love cooking and creating recipes, it is such a luxury to be able to buy something pre-made, in a regular store that is totally Jasmin-friendly!  I almost couldn't believe it at first, having to re-read the ingredients several times over to make sure.  But this mix is for real.  The waffles turned out light and a little crispy, reminding me of the days when I ate Eggo waffles: "Leggo my (wheat/sugar/dairy free) Eggo!"  

People, dreams can come true. 

 

(FYI:  Trader Joe's  is really stepping it up with lot's of gluten free products in their store, including brown rice tortillas and breads, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment