Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A San Francisco Day


The other day I was a tourist in my own city.  I went to the SFMOMA to see the Stein collection and then wandered downtown until I found myself at the Ferry Building.  It was Tuesday so the farmer's market was  hopping.  At that point I was hungry from all the art watching that morning, so I stopped at the Indian stand where they sell Naan and delicious dips like fire roasted eggplant and..... gluten free spinach chickpea bread! This bread by Sukhi's Gourmet Indian Food is so savory and delicious- look for these guys at other Bay Area farmer's markets:


I bought a pack of the bread and the eggplant dip and sat along the water noshing on my goodies.  I was surrounded by tourists speaking French, Japanese, and German around me.  Though I am not a tourist in San Francisco anymore, that afternoon I did feel the same sense of anonymity in a new place.  I rarely go downtown, as I work in different neighborhood, so on a relaxing day off I could truly appreciate my surroundings like a tourist:  basking in the sun reflecting off the very clean pavements, admiring the view of the Bay Bridge, and enjoying the novelty of the Ferry Building's decadent treats.  And laughing when one 4 year old girl in a pink dress asked her sister, "Why don't you call it ice cream?  Why do you always have to say gelato?"  You know you're in San Francisco when 4 year olds are arguing about gelato....

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! She just calls it gelato. I love it.

    ReplyDelete