Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Generous Granola Bars

 

Gratitude and generosity feed the soul.  Often I feel a sense of wanting and needing: a bigger home, a better job, more money, more friends, more clothes, more books, more food, more love...  But often this is just a perception, a distorted view of reality.  Because at other moments I so clearly see how blessed my life is.  This happened the other night, when my sister and her husband were visiting my brother and I in San Francisco.  I was nearing the end of a very busy summer- full of lot's of traveling, lot's of visitors, lot's of plans with lot's of people, and I was at the point of whining to my friends about my crazy schedule.  And while I certainly was in need of some alone time, it finally hit me that night when I was out with my sister, just how lucky I am.  I mean, how can I complain about spending time with my awesome siblings and friends in the beautiful city of San Francisco, after a day of an inspiring work retreat, and after a night of seeing Sade live in concert?  I saw my life full of love and beauty and suddenly had the urge to bake! So the next day I decided to make some granola bars for my friend who was having a hard week.  It was a pleasure to make these breakfast treats for her, not only because it cheered her up, but it also made me feel grateful to have so much happiness to give away right now.  And literally, I had jars and jars of nuts and oats in my pantry, just waiting to be used in this recipe.  So please enjoy these yummy, chewy, crunchy granola bars and share them with a friend!

Ingredients (makes about 2 dozen "bars"/cakes in 2 cupcake tins):
  • 1 cup of ground nuts
  • 1 cup of shredded coconut
  • 1 cup of oat flour
  • 2 cups of gluten free oats
  • 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup of ground flax meal
  • 1 tbs of cinnamon
  • 1 tbs of vanilla
  • 1 cup rice milk
  • 2 tbs oil
  • 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 4 tbs almond butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 large egg

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in one big bowl.
  3. Mix together the wet ingredients in a seperate bowl.
  4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients in the large bowl.
  5. Line two cupcake tins with paper liners and fill each cup with the granola mixture to about 3/4 full.  Press each granola "bar" so it is firm and smooth on top.
  6. Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes until they are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.  
  7. Share with a loved one!



No comments:

Post a Comment