Saturday, August 20, 2011

Rainbow Salad


I have been making this hearty salad all summer long.  It's packed with protein and a colorful medley of veggies.  The other day I had a bowl for lunch at work, and one of my 6th grade students said, "Oh my god, that looks soooo good!"  I looked around to see what food she was talking about, then realizing it was mine I asked her if she liked quinoa (just to be clear that this was not couscous or some other more popular grain.) She went on and on saying how much she loved quinoa and kale, and continued to stare longingly at my lunch. I finally gave her some to eat- which I wouldn't normally do- but I was just so happy that this child had a craving for something so healthy that I couldn't resist sharing!  I remember when I was in middle school, my best friend and I would stop at the convient store every single day after school to buy Mars candybars, Doritos and Hostess Cupcakes.  My, how things have changed. Well, whatever age you are, I hope you enjoy this easy summer recipe!

Ingredients:
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of rinsed quinoa *
  • 1 -2 yellow zucchinis/summer squash chopped into bite size pieces
  • 1/2 cup or so of shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup or so of shredded purple cabbage
  • 1 bunch of kale, washed and trimmed
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
  • 1 block of really fresh tofu, cut into small cubes
  • Sprouts- alfalfa or microsprouts are yummy!
  • Your favorite salad dressing (I have been buying Dr. Bragg's cider vinegrette.)
  • Olive oil, salt and pepper
*You must rinse quinoa off before cooking.  I usually soak it in a bowl of water for 10 or more minutes, then pour it into a sieve and run water over it for a few minutes.

Directions:
  1. Pour 3 cups of water into a pot.  Add salt and the rinsed quinoa.  Bring to a boil, then simmer on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes until the quinoa turns transulecent and the little tales of each quinoa seed pops out.
  2. Meanwhile, in a pan coated with olive oil, saute the zucchini on medium/high heat for a few minutes.  Add the shredded carrots and cabbage, then the garlic and the kale.  Saute until all vegetables are slightly soft and turn bright in color.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the quinoa, cooked veggies, tomatoes, tofu, and sprouts (plus any other things you love, like avocado, sunflower seeds...).
  4. Dress with the your favorite salad dressing, salt and pepper and enjoy!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment