Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

I woke up to sound of the wind brushing against the palms outside my window this morning.  The fog and mist were turning into rain.  I hugged the blankets over my head, happy that the first rainy day of fall beckoned me to stay home.  My roommate had said it was a good weekend to make muffins, so that's what I did.  I was hesitant to make up my own recipe as the last two times I baked muffins they turned into deflated messes.  So I looked on line and found this recipe by Erin McKenna, the owner of Babycakes, a fabulous gluten free bakery in NYC.  I changed the recipe slightly and made it fresh with some lemon zest.  Listening to "This American Life" on NPR, I measured the flours, zested the lemon, and scooped the blueberries.  To my pleasure, these muffins turned out fluffy, soft and delicious.  I should have known they would be good since I love everything at Erin McKenna's bakery!  These lemon blueberry muffins will warm you up and brighten up any rainy day.   

Ingredients
  • 1 cup of garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
  • 3/4 cup of rice flour
  • 1/4 cup of tapioca flour (or potato starch)
  • 2 teaspoons of baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup of melted Earth Balance
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2/3 cup of maple syrup
  • 2/3 cup of rice milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • zest of one lemon
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup of frozen blueberries (mostly thawed and well-drained)

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degress F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
  3. Slowly add in the wet ingredients (except the blueberries) and mix well until smooth.
  4. Add the blueberries and stir gently- don't over mix or the whole batter will turn blue!  
  5. Fill each muffin cup to about 2/3 full.  
  6. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until slightly golden on top.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment