Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sweet Potato Pancakes


I spent the week lying in bed dreaming of eating.  I would get up and torture myself by staring into the fridge at my delicious food: shredded kale salad, quinoa and pesto tofu. I would finger the pomegranate and avocados sitting in my fruit bowl, and sigh in sadness.  All of this I couldn't eat, not a single bite, because I had been struck with the stomach bug! It was a rough week for a cooking-obsessed food blogger. Eventually I was able to nibble on gluten free toast and oatmeal, but I wanted real food: sushi, vegetable curry, a hamburger! Now that I can integrate real foods back into my diet, I am savoring every flavorful bite.  And I can finally blog about these delicious sweet potato pancakes, which were inspired by some Hannukah latkes I enjoyed recently. These are a perfect brunch dish: served with a side of eggs and fruit, or on a bed of mixed green with a lemon-dill aioli sauce!  They are best eaten hot, so invite your hungry friends over and enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 medium/large russet potato
  • 1 small onion or a bunch of scallions
  • 2 tbs of chopped rosemary (optional)
  • 3/4 cup or so of gluten free flour
  • 4 tsps or so of salt
  • 2 tsps of pepper
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • Canola oil for frying
Directions
  1. Wash and grate the potatoes (if you have a Cuisinart with a grater attachment it's even easier, but a grater will work well too.)
  2. Grate the onion or finely chop the scallions.
  3. Mix together the potatoes, onions, rosemary, flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
  4. Taste a tiny bit to see if it's salty enough for you. Then add the eggs.
  5. In a skillet (cast iron is nice) heat the oil on high.  Also, put on the stove fan and open a window. 
  6. When the oil is ready, make 3-4 potato patties and place them into the pan.  
  7. Cook on each side for a few minutes, until they are crispy and golden.
  8. Place the pancakes on pile of paper towels to soak up the oil.
  9. Keep frying pancakes until you have used up all the batter; just watch the heat so that the oil doesn't burn.  
  10. Enjoy these sweet potato pancakes hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment