Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Gluten Free NYC!

I go to NYC when I am craving long talks with old friends, walking down tree-lined streets of gorgeous brownstones, feeling invincible in the hot summer night air, and most importantly enjoying the best gluten/sugar/dairy free dinning! I have blogged before about my favorite places to eat out in NYC, but this trip I decided to try all new restaurants. My first stop was Sun in Bloom, a gluten free and vegan restaurant in Park Slope, Brooklyn. On a lazy afternoon, I strolled into this freshly designed restaurant and ordered their sunny "Couture Futomaki" with raw pickeled vegetables, avocado, and the most amazing sesame ginger dressing! I also sipped a nice cold coffee with almond milk and agave to sweeten it.  For dessert, I picked out this precious "strawberry shortcake" cupcake. It was filled and topped with fresh strawberries! I also stopped by Sun in Bloom another afternoon and got a pro-biotic coconut milk and blueberry smoothie to go - heavenly.
Another new place I tried in NYC was the Jivamuktea Cafe in Union Square. My friend Eric had recommended the Jivamukti yoga center and told me I had to stop by the cafe after class! I am so glad I did, as there was an amazing selection of vegan and gluten free options! I had a hard time deciding what to order, but ended up getting a "BLT" sandwich made with fried tempeh and served on gluten free bread.  It was extremely satisfying. They also had tons of smoothies and salads that I want to try next time! 
When I think of NYC, I think of bagels. This trip I was determined to find a gluten free bagel place in NYC. Luckily I discovered Vic's Bagel Bar which not only serves gluten free bagels, but also vegan cream cheese! I had a fat poppy seed bagel sandwich with vegan cream cheese, smoked salmon and tomatoes - my favorite! The bagel was very flavorful, though slightly tougher than I remember glutinous bagels being. But the overall lox sandwich experience was just what I was hoping for! 
Also, one day I was wandering around the East Village and stumbled upon Tu Lu's Gluten Free Bakery. It is an adorable little spot filled with gluten free treats. I asked the lady behind the counter which items didn't have sugar in them and she pointed me to the brownies and oatmeal cookies. I said, "I'll have one of each!" The cookie was nice and hearty, and the brownie was decadent!
Finally, I couldn't resist returning to my two favorite places in NYC: Angelica Kitchen and Babycakes. I have blogged about both of these treasures before on Jasmin's Happy Tummy, and still can't stop talking about them! I have no pictures of my yummy Babycakes brownie and banana bread (I stopped there as I was running in the rain to catch the Chinatown bus), but I do have a picture of the most fabulous kale salad. Now, I eat a lot of kale dishes, but this one had an incredible dressing, sun dried tomatoes and pieces of creamy soft herbed tofu that tasted like goat cheese! I am craving this salad right now as I type! I can't wait to go back to NYC and enjoy all my favorite gluten/sugar/dairy free eateries!



1 comment: