Friday, July 13, 2012

Dad's Cooking

I know, it's been a while since I blogged.  Life has been busy and I spend less time cooking these days. But I am now on summer vacation and enjoying the sweeter things in life- like sunset walks and good food!  I visited my father in Tampa last week and was treated to his delicious cooking.  His tastes have influenced my own; we both love tonic water and lime, we both love the green stuff in lobster, we both prefer savory over sweet, we both love cilantro and freshly grated ginger.  Every day he cooked me flavorful meals: perfectly poached eggs (his secret is he puts vinegar in the pot to keep the eggs together, but rinses the eggs off before serving so there's no vinegary taste), chipolte rice noodle salad (his trick is to add all the spices and seasonings in before adding the mayo so the flavors go right into the noodles), and Thai curry chicken with snow peas (in which he chops the chicken with my grandmother's old meat cleaver.)  While visiting my father I asked him about our family history and he told me that his grandfather owned a Chinese restaurant in Michigan- back in the day when there were no other Chinese people around! I don't know how he was successful, but his cooking must have been good to overcome racial boundaries in Saginaw, MI.  Watching my father cook for me, I realized that cooking is a real family tradition, one that I hope to keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment