Friday, June 7, 2013

Gluten free cinnamon french toast


Ok people, I am back.  I know it has been a while since I have blogged! Forgive me, I'm in grad school and work full time - I just haven't had time for cooking and blogging.  But the semester is over and I am so excited to have my weekends back, including Sunday brunch time!  My first free weekend I slept in and woke up craving something sweet and comforting.  So I whipped together some cinnamon french toast.  I remember when I was kid, my mother used to make me cinnamon toast, which is just toast with butter, cinnamon and sugar spread on top - so simple yet perfect!  This recipe below hints at this comfort food from my childhood, but in a french toast form - and wheat/sugar/dairy free!  I hope you enjoy it!


Ingredients (for 2 people)
  • 6 slices of great gluten free bread (I love Canyon BakeHouse brand)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup of almond/soy/rice milk
  • 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp of nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon of 100% maple syrup (plus more for later)
  • Some Earth Balance or coconut oil or something to grease the pan.

Directions
  • In a bowl, mix together eggs, milk, spices, and syrup. 
  • Soak 2 slices of bread in the egg batter, making sure both sides are coated.
  • Grease pan and turn burner to medium-high heat and cook soaked bread slices in pan, about 2 or so minutes on each side.
  • Repeat until all slices of bread are cooked.
  • Top with fresh fruit and maple syrup and enjoy, preferably NOT while you study or write a term paper!






1 comment:

  1. I used to make you cinnamon toast? I don't remember that!

    ReplyDelete